Friday, September 13, 2013

APOD 1.3

My third astronomy picture of the day is from the 7th of September. The photo is taken from the "Ice Forest" in the Andes Mountains with several constellations in the sky.






I really liked this apod since it was not only beautiful, but it is also interactive. The picture has a mouse over feature that shows the starts with lines and titles connecting them. This fascinated me because this is the one of the driest places on earth in this desert even though it has hundreds of ice spikes sticking out of the ground. I just love how the moonshine is actually shining off of them as it makes the entire picture far more beautiful. Even though this photo does not have any constellations that we have gone over yet, I still recognize several of them such as Orion and Pegasus. I really wish that our skies were that clear at night, but the lights and the altitude make this a rare occurrence. As Mr Percival said, this is almost comedic with how these ice structures are in the desert even without rain for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment