Thursday, November 21, 2013

APOD 2.5

Today I chose to select the APOD image found on the date November 17th 2013 seen below
 This is an image of the tail created by the Comet McNaught. This was taken in 2007 with a long duration camera exposure with a wide angle lens so that one can see its entire length. This was taken from an observatory in Australia by the discoverer of the comet Robert McNaught. This comet is actually the brightest one to pass near the earth in several decades with its brightness magnitude of negative five. A new comet that I have been monitoring called ISON is approaching and is expected to be even brighter than this assuming that it doesn't explode from the suns heat. The main reason I chose this photo is not only because it is a stunningly beautiful picture, but it is also relevant to the quarters project in class. I am going to present comets and meteors and I have learned a lot in my research. With my new knowledge, I actually can point out parts of the comet above by name such as the nucleus.

No comments:

Post a Comment